Exfoliating: Chemical or Physical?


So today I thought I'd talk a little about exfoliation and exfoliators! I usually exfoliate on Sunday nights so my face is fresh and clean for the upcoming week, so I figured it is the perfect time to talk with you guys a bit about which type of exfoliation I prefer, and what exfoliators I use.

There are two types of exfoliation--chemical and physical. 

Physical exfoliation uses small grains, beads or fibers to rub dead skin off of your body. While microbeads have recently been banned in physical exfoliants in the United States, there are many natural alternatives, including sugar. Physical exfoliation can be less gentle than chemical exfoliation, since you can over-scrub your face, leading to irritation and redness.

Chemical exfoliation uses chemicals like AHA and BHA to loosen the bonds between dead skin cells and allow them to be turned over more easily. Chemical exfoliation is great for gentle and sensitive skin since it is not abrasive and AHA and BHAs are very gentle exfoliants. I really enjoy using glycolic acid products, since I have found they work well for my skin.

Now that we've got the basics down, I'll introduce you all to my  two current exfoliators.



Origins Modern Friction
Physical Exfoliant

I gotta admit, I bought this a long time ago, and it's probably on its last legs, but I have really enjoyed my time with this exfoliator. It has small beads in it, and is very creamy and smooth. I find that this exfoliator has a moisturizing effect because of its creamy formula. It hydrates my skin as I exfoliate and leaves my face feeling smooth and bright after I wash it off. It also smells heavenly. My only compliant is one of physical exfoliants in general, not just this product.. It can just be annoying to wash off--making sure you get all those little beads off of your face is hard!




Dr. G Brightening Peeling Gel
Chemical Exfoliant

This is a Korean chemical exfoliant that is very gentle on your skin. I was hesitant to start using chemical exfoliants because I thought they might not play well with my sensitive skin, but I have been converted! This is now my favorite type of exfoliator, and I have a toner that also includes AHA/BHA ingredients to gently exfoliate my face.

This product is very gentle and is quite fun to use, since you can feel and see the dead skin rolling off of your skin. It doesn't have a scent, which is great for those of you sensitive to fragrance in products. All you have to do is wet you face, then rub a small amount of this gel on your skin, and voila~ dead skin will fall right off! 





I hope that little primer and product spotlight was helpful. If you guys have any exfoliator recommendations, let me know! I'll be on the hunt for a new physical exfoliator soon, so let me know what your favorites are!

Have a great week!




CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Back
to top